I really love this dish. It’s so much fun to build and it is so memorable. It’s gonna have your guests talking about it for weeks.
You’ll need fresh cherries, select eggs, thickened cream, select dark cooking chocolate, and select butter. Find below for the recipe and full list of ingredients.
Here are the ingredients :
400g select unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups homebrand caster sugar
6 select eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3⅓ cups macro organic self-raising flour
⅔ cup macro organic plain flour
1 1/2 cups homebrand cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup buttermilk
⅔ cup milk
⅓ cup cherry brandy
600ml thickened cream, whipped
600g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
200g select dark cooking chocolate, melted
The base to this black forest cake is creaming your butter in your sugar.
1. I’m just chopping the butter into large dice.
This will make it creamy zero with the sugar, one and a half cups, and we’re using castor sugar today.
2. And now beat it until it’s beautiful and pale and creamy.
3. Add your eggs one at a time.
I used a total of 6 eggs in this recipe.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla
5. And this mixture is ready for the dry ingredients now.
You always want to set your dry ingredients because again that’s gonna give you a gorgeous light fluffy end result.
6. I’m using 3 and 1/3 cups of self-raising flour in this recipe.
7. And 2/3 of a cup of plain flour.
8. And you use self-raising flour.
It give you that beautiful rise of your cake and the plain flour as a density. So that the cakes easier to cut.
9. To finish add one and a half cups of cocoa powder and milk.
10. Gently mix and place into two baking trays.
11. Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees and place the mixture in for 40 to 45 minutes.
With the cakes in the oven i’m getting on to all of our filling for this gorgeous cake :
1. I’ve got beautiful cherries which are just bursting with flavor at the moment. Now i’m cheating a little bit which is absolutely fine. This is a cherry pitter. If you don’t have one of these little cherry pitter, it’s not a problem. You just use a paring knife.
“The best cherry is a glossy and plug with a bright green stem and that’s a sure sign of freshness. This one’s perfect. Just leave the stems on to keep them nice and fresh and store them in a plastic or a paper bag in the fridge”.
2. I’ve melted some chocolate.
I’m gonna pour it onto my marble slab and show you how to make some beautiful chocolate shavings. The important things to remember are a very clean dry large sharp knife, and holding it at a 45 degree angle to the chocolate. Then it is just a matter of= bringing it towards you, then you’re gonna get these gorgeous curls. Beautiful.
Now it’s time to start the assembling:
1. Carefully cut each cake into three= one and a half centimeter layers.
2. Then add a generous drizzle of raspberry cordial and some soft peaking whipped cream.
Make sure to leave a border as the cream will spread.
3. Sprinkle a handful of cherries and repeat the process for each layer.
And now the last layer. To finish this gorgeous cake off :
4. Its gonna dot my cherries around. I want to take a little bit more care with this layer (in our presentation layer). This cake is ready for the chocolate shavings on top,
5. And the very last thing i’m gonna do is just dot some gorgeous fresh cherries in with the chocolate.
The perfect finish to an alfresco christmas.