Hi everyone and welcome back to my blog. Today I will sharing with you one of my favourite things to make=satay chicken with a delicious peanut sauce. It is incredibly flavourful and simple to make, so let me share with you the recipe.
Prepare the Marinade first.
We start by making the marinade for the meat. In a medium sized bowl, please add=
1. A few tablespoons of “kecap manis” which is an Indonesian sweet style soy sauce.
If you do not have this, you should be able to find it with the soy sauces or in the international section of your grocery store. Or you can make a substitute by using regular soy sauce and then add a few teaspoon of sugar.
2. Use a garlic crusher to crush in 2 cloves of garlic.
3. Measure out a tablespoon of sesame oil.
This has a tone of flavour.
4. Use a fork to give the marinade a stir.
In order to combine the ingredients and set to the side while prepare the chicken.
Prepare the chicken meat
For this satay I am using skinless boneless chicken thighs. I prefer these as they are a lot more tender than chicken breasts but its really up to you what you use. Chicken, beef, prawn or even tofu for a vegetarian take.
1. Cut the chicken meat into strips, and then place it into the bowl together with the marinade.
2. Give it a quick toss so everything is evenly coated.
3. Cover with plastic wrap before putting in the fridge.
4. For the best results I recommend marinating the chicken over night but if you are pushed for time, a few hours should do.
5. After the chicken has marinated, remove it from the fridge and then start by threading it onto skewers.
6. At the same time as you make the chicken marinade, place a few bamboo skewers into some cold water to soak. it will help stop the skewers from burning when you cook the chicken.
7. For three chicken thighs, I am making 6 skewers which will be enough to serve 2-3 people. This is a great appetizer but you can also serve it with rice to make it into a main meal.
8. Divide the chicken up evenly between the skewers and place on a plate.
Prepare the sauce
The chicken will only take about 5-7 minutes to cook, so next I am going to start by preparing the peanut sauce=
1. Slice a red chilli in half and remove the seeds.
Leave the chilli out but by removing the seeds it takes away most of the spice.
2. Slice a medium sized onion in half and remove the peel.
Slice into chunks, its going to be blended so they dont need to be even and place into a mini food processor.
3. Place into the food processor along with the onion and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
4. Pulse the food processor a few times or until everything is finely chopped.
I prefer the peanut sauce to be smooth apart from the peanuts. But if you dont mind with its thicker, you dont need to use a food processor.
Cooking process of the satay-A
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan over medium heat
2, Add the onion, chilli and garlic.
3. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion has become translucent.
Be careful not to burn it.
4. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over medium high heat until hot.
There is no need to oil the pan as the marinade for chicken contains enough oil.
5. Place the skewers in the griddle pan and leave to cook for about 3-4 minutes until deeply golden brown.
I prefer to use a griddle pan for this as it leaves really lovely grill marks on the chicken and it provides even heat but if you dont have one a regular fry pan will work too.
Cooking process of the satay-B
I am using peanut butter for this peanut sauce just because its so much easier. You can of course grind down peanuts if you have more time, thats up to you=
1. Measure out about half a cup of peanut butterl
Smooth or chunky works, we will be adding peanuts to the sauce as well.
2. Turn the heat down on the saucepan and add the peanut butter as well as coconut milk.
Stir until the peanut butter has melted and sauce has come together. The sauce is quite thin in consistency here but it will thicken as it cools. If you like a really thick sauce, just add a touch less coconut milk.
3. Add some tablespoons of ”kecap manis”.
4. Stir and remove the sauce from the heat to cool.
5, Turn the chicken skewers over.
They should be deeply golden brown. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until completely cooked through.
6. Cut a fresh lime in half and squeeze the juice into the peanut sauce along with a handful crushed peanuts.
Use a mortar and pestle or if you dont have one, a knife works too.
7. Stir the sauce and check for seasoning.
This recipe makes quite a large batch of sauce, you will definitely have leftovers. It should store in the fridge for at least 5 days but you can use it for a tone of different recipes.
8. Remove the chicken from the griddle pan and serve with the sauce.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, comment below if you are going to make it.