Here is our recipes for one of the most phenomenal dishes we can think of: potato croquettes! Or crocchette di patate (as we call them in italy). And let’s be honest, if they taste half as amazing as they sound, we are in for a treat!
These beautiful potato nuggets are generally fried, but as you have probably already figured out, we are going to avoid oil here to obtain our fat-free and utterly delicious version. However, rest assured that this recipe is going to taste as good as the regular one. Not to mention that it will also be a lot healthier. If you are to begin, you can find the ingredient list below :
Ingredients [ ounces / grams ]
For the croquettes:
14 oz potatoes, cooked
1 garlic clove
1 pinchblack pepper
1 pinchground nutmeg
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp chives
salt (to taste)
For the coating:
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
¼ tsp mild chili
¼ tsp smoked paprika
To begin with, finely dice the shallot and the garlic. If for some reason you don’t like these two ingredients, don’t worry. Everyone has different tastes, so we think it’s very important that we give you options. You can easily substitute these two ingredients with any other vegetable you like. Some options are pepper, chilli, courgette, carrot and even peas work perfectly. The only important thing is to dice the veggies very finely or they will compromise the final dish. You can also leave out the extra veggies if you wish! Afterall this is a recipe for potato croquettes, not for mixed vegetable ones, right?
Now finely chop the chives and let’s move on to the cooking process:
1. Take a small pan, add in some water and bring it to a boil.
2. Tip in the diced vegetables and cook them until they are soft. and the water is completely evaporated.
3. Place the cooked potatoes into a bowl and mash them thoroughly with a fork.
4. In this instance, there is no need to use a potato ricer or any other fancy equipment.
5. However if you feel creative, you could try to mash the potatoes with your powerful bare hands.
6. Once the potatoes are thoroughly mashed, add the nutmeg, the nutritional yeast, the chives and the pepper.
7. Stir the ingredients well with a fork to properly combine them.
8. Once finished, tip in the cooked onions and stir again to complete the mixture for the croquette.
9. Now, we couldn’t simply coat the croquettes with some boring breadcrumbs, could we?
10. Mix the breadcrumb with your favourite spices and we are ready to roll. quite literally. We used chilli powder and smoked paprika here.
Before moving on, you might want to preheat the oven to 220° C which is about 430° F. Or you might not. Depends on whether or not, you want to actually enjoy this particular preparation. Your choice!
From here the process is pretty straight forward:
1. Simply mould a piece of the potato mixture into your preferred shape.
2. Coat it in breadcrumbs and place it onto an oven tray ready to be baked.
3. Repeat the process until the hands hurt or the batter is finished, whichever occurs first.
4. There is really no perfect shape for the croquettes.
5. We like them in their traditional cylindrical shape, but others shape work too, being them round or flat.
6. However, it is important to make them all of equal size and thickness, to allow for even cooking and browning.
7. Now place the tray in the preheated oven and bake the croquettes for 20 minutes.
Making sure to rotate the tray half way through the cooking time to allow for even browning. At the end of the cooking process, you will end up with these, Which are the crunchiest and most delicious fat-free croquettes we have ever tried. I mean, do i really need to say anything to convince you that this is an incredibly delicious dish? I’m sure you are getting a pretty good idea about how delicious these croquettes are, simply by imagine it